Sunday, January 12, 2014

Review: The Bad Wolf by Michelle Clay

The Bad WolfThe Bad Wolf by Michelle Clay
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I downloaded this right after receiving my Kindle for Christmas. It's a YA about a girl named Chloe who moves to a small town in Colorado after her parents separate. (She walked in on her father with his girlfriend, so there's some residual trauma involved). She was popular in her last high school, but is teased and harassed by the new clique (pack) of popular kids at the new one. Only Jenna, a goth type, befriends her. Jenna's handsome, dark-haired cousin Ryan, to whom Chloe feels uncannily attracted, seems to run hot and cold toward her, which vexes and confuses. One minute, he's kissing her, the next, pushing her away. Chloe, who can sense the emotions of animals--a gift she hides from family and friends--soon learns the reason she's being treated so badly in Hunde...and why Ryan acts so mercurial toward her.

I like this kind of paranormal romance. Well, actually, I like this kind of paranormal romance with steamy sex scenes, but, given that it's a YA and Chloe is only 16, I didn't really expect her and Ryan to get it on. What I mean is that I like paranormal romances about a normal heroine (or hero) who finds herself in paranormal circumstances. So many paranormals these days have just gotten too weird for me. Guess that's why I write the kind of books I love to read; books like this one (only with steamy sex and adult characters); books about people falling in love and overcoming obstacles that are perhaps just a little more "out-there" than what human couples face.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this book and highly recommend it to those, like me, who just want a good, old-fashioned paranormal romance about a normal girl who finds herself falling for a handsome were or vampire. Kudos to author Michelle Clay for an enjoyable, compelling read with The Bad Wolf.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Writing smexy paranormals with a Celtic twist. Blogging about good books.